Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Do you compliment strangers?


My best friend pointed something out to me a couple weeks back:  I frequently compliment strangers. 

I hadn't given it much thought, but am aware that it's something I do.

My thinking behind it is (1) it's awesome to get a compliment in general, and (2) coming from a stranger is unexpected and can really brighten someone's day.  Bottom line, why not?

I think we sometimes think that people who are close to us that compliment us are just saying it because they have to (which isn't true, typically) but from someone who doesn't know you, it's an unexpected surprise.  I know we all compliment each other in the blogosphere a lot, but in person puts a new meaning behind it.

Do you compliment strangers?  If not, will you try it today?


SHARE:

6 comments

Rebecca @ Thats So Pearl said...

I rarely compliment strangers since living in NJ. Most people here look at you like you have five heads if you even try to be friendly with them. I agree though, it is nice and definitely nice to hear a compliment from someone whom you do not know! :)

Sarah Palisek said...

I enjoy that you compliment strangers, you can see the joy in their faces when you do. And, from seeing this, I have started to do this more and more now too.

I also have been complimented by strangers a bit more often lately and it feels so good! It brightens my day like you said, and it is such a pleasant surprise. :)

I try to say something nice to someone everyday if I can and people put effort into their looks for others to notice..so mission accomplished when someone does say something nice. And you don't feel like "today was such a waste of makeup", haha.

LandOfTheGlam said...

Yes! If I like your hair or something you're wearing I will point it out. It's definitely a feel good thing to do and I'm not expecting a compliment in return. I will say though, that a lot of people are caught off guard. Especially if I say something to someone that is a similar age, they seem to not know what to do.

I think it's especially nice to hear a compliment from someone you don't know. Even though it's probably not true, it feels more genuine.

Loren said...

I do compliment people I don't know. I think hearing anything positive and unexpected can bring such a boost to someone's day! I did it the other day to an older woman and she actually took my hand and said Bless You. It took me aback and made ME feel good that such a simple remark had made her so happy.

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

I definitely have no qualms about doing it if it warrants it. I love that your best friend noticed that you do.

Amanda @ Life with A.Co said...

@Loren: wow!! That's soo sweet :)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig