Does it bother you when someone uses a picture of themselves with their significant other as their profile picture?

Wednesday, April 3, 2013


I had never thought of this before until someone mentioned it, but, does it bother you when people use a 'couple photo' as their profile picture?  For instance, a boyfriend/girlfriend duo that posts a picture of the two of them for the photo?

The argument I heard was that everyone has their own, for example, Facebook account, so why would you use a picture of two people when it's your own profile.  Similar to your driver's license, it's a picture of just you, not you and your husband, etc.

Personally, this does not bother me, I think it's sweet and the person is who owns the profile is still in the picture and you can clearly distinguish who is who.  On the other hand, I do find it kind of strange when someone uses their baby or child's photo as their PP; that clearly isn't you and you likely have an entire album, or six, dedicated to your child (I know I would, who's with me!?) so why not use your own face for the main picture?

This is a weird topic but how do you feel about it?


6 comments:

AA said...

Having your significant other or child, pet, friend, etc. in the picture WITH you doesn't bother me. As long as your profile picture features YOU, I'm fine with it.

But I definitely agree - people who use just their child's picture as their profile picture confuse me. It's your profile - not your kid's!

Jamie said...

My first reaction to your post was "that's fine but I hate when people post their kid as their PP!!!" and then you went and said it. I agree with you, and as AA said above - if you're also in the pic, it's fine to have the pic contain others - but just one person who isn't you, kid or otherwise? Strange!!

A.Co said...

Haha thank you AA & Jamie! We're totally on the same page :P

Sarah Palisek said...

Meh - I think it's ok if it's you and your S.O, but when it's a pet, a rando pic, a cartoon of some sort or your child/children, I no like.

^^ Agreed with above (smart ladies!) ^^

I heard them talking about this on the radio the other morning too and then I started to think more about it..it is YOUR page or profile or whatever. Have an album with other pics if you want, but I have always liked a solo pic for social media platforms.

/FIN.

Kate said...

It doesn't bother me at all but I do understand why some people have an issue with it - some people, when they get into a relationship lose their sense of self and don't even have an identity without their significant other, and I think people get annoyed at that and associate having a "couple-y" profile picture with not being able to separate yourself from your S.O. - which isn't always the case, but often is.

Anonymous said...

I would totally put a couple pic for my profile... if I had a man!!! that's why i dont like it because im jealous!! haha i think its stupid, but to each his or her own :-)

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground