Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Vegetarian Rice Bowl


When I was in Toronto in November, the bff and I went to Fresh, a restaurant originally discovered by our mutual friend Ka.  It's a gourmet vegetarian / vegan restaurant, and while I love meat, this was a great change for a night.  I ordered the Warrior Bowl and devoured it.  

About a month ago I attempted this dish, without instruction (strictly memory and imagination), and it turned out quite nice (keep in mind it's not really a Warrior Bowl, but we'll call it A.Co's version).  Tonight I was craving it (especially since I knew I had a fresh blueberry pie waiting for me for dessert!) and wanted something healthy.  Here's the how-to:

You will need:
Spinach
Chickpeas (I used kidney beans last time in a pinch)
Brown rice
Peanut Sauce

How to:
1.  Cook your rice (I used about 1 cup)
2.  When the rice is almost ready, saute the spinach (I used 4 big handfuls) and chickpeas (1 can) in a wok
3.  Spoon in 2-3 heaping spoonfuls of peanut sauce into the wok
4.  Mix in the rice
5.  Add pepper to taste (I also added curry powder - be creative!) & enjoy

I only had about a large spoonful of peanut sauce so I improvised 
and added two large spoonfuls of peanut butter - it works!
SHARE:

2 comments

Alicia Lund said...

Yum! Sounds delicious... I love eating vegetarian most nights of the week.

Andee Layne said...

um yum! this looks delish!!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig